Search engines are the key to finding specific information on the vast expanse of our World Wide Web(WWW). Without sophisticated search engines like google, it would be virtually impossible to locate anything on the Web without knowing a specific URL. But do you know how search engines work? Any idea?
When people use the term search engine in relation to the Web, they are usually referring to the google search engine. But technically it refers to the actual search forms that searches through databases of HTML documents, initially gathered by a spider.
There are basically 3 types of search engines:
- Those that are powered by robots (called crawlers; ants or spiders)
- Those that are powered by human submissions
- Those that are a hybrid of the two.
Some funny stuff attributed to page rank and Google bombing:
1. Worst Band in the World search results bring up the Christian rock band Creed. This is attributed to the common SEO tactic “GoogleBombing” in which lots of incoming links are marked with the specific keyphrase in the anchor text. While I find it to be funny (and oh so very true), it isn’t a “mistake” at all. Check the Wikipedia entry for more GoogleBombs.
2. The Answer to Life The Universe and Everything brings up the Google Calculator answer as 42. This is an intentional reference to “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.” Read more in the Wikipedia entry. Those Google folk sure do have a quirky sense of humor.